Tony Xu, co-founder and CEO of Doordash, has joined Meta’s board of directors. He was serving as the CEO of Doordash since 2013 and was appointed to the company’s board chair in November 2020. Meta says his appointment is effective immediately, and this brings the total number of people on Meta’s board of directors to 10.
The company is now focused on implementing shopping and e-commerce features directly within its services to prevent users from leaving its apps. Hence, it has introduced numerous shopping features across its apps, which includes Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp.This indicates Commerce will play a major role in the metaverse, and Xu will likely advise the board on such matters.
On his appointment as one of the board members at meta, Xu said, “Millions of local merchants use Meta’s tools to grow and run their businesses every month. I look forward to working with the board as the company enters the next stage of its journey,”
Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta, said, “Tony has built a great service for millions of people to get food and more from hundreds of thousands of restaurants and small businesses. I’ve always thought it’s important to have great tech leaders on our board, and Tony has direct experience both running a tech company and solving complex challenges in commerce. I look forward to learning from his perspective as we build towards the metaverse.” He outlined that Xu has great experience in solving complex challenges in commerce and that the company will leverage Xu’s expertise as it creates the Metaverse.
The Board of Directors of Meta include:
· Mark Zuckerberg; CEO at Meta
· Peggy Alford, the executive vice president of global sales at PayPal
· Marc Andreessen, the co-founder of Andreessen Horowitz
· Drew Houston, the co-founder and CEO of Dropbox
· Nancy Killefer, a retired senior partner at McKinsey & Company
· Robert Kimmitt, Meta’s lead independent director and senior international counsel at WilmerHale LLP
· Sheryl K. Sandberg, the chief operating officer of Meta
· Peter Thiel, managing partner at Founders Fund
· Tracey T. Travis, the executive vice president and CFO of The Estée Lauder Companies.